Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Fairfield City School District has followed the guidelines that have been issued by our local and state public health officials. The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) is “strongly recommending” that unvaccinated students and staff wear facial coverings indoors when classes resume next month. In accordance with this guidance, the Fairfield City School District strongly recommends that unvaccinated students and staff wear facial coverings indoors when classes begin August 17. We are not, however, requiring their use. According to ODH guidelines, facial coverings are generally not necessary when outdoors, including when participating in outdoor play, recess, and physical education activities. The ODH guidance also:
- Strongly recommends vaccinations for all eligible students and staff. Currently, vaccines are available for ages 12 and older.
- Strongly recommends that unvaccinated individuals consistently wear facial coverings.
- Strongly encourages handwashing, maximizing social distancing, and other safety measures, such as providing good ventilation, to prevent virus spread.
- During the school day, students and staff will socially distance as much as possible.
- Multiple water bottle filling stations are in place at each school. At this time, water fountains will not be used. We will explore the expansion of the water bottle filling stations across the district.
- Merv 13 air filters will continue to be used in all capable HVAC units throughout the district, and these filters will be changed prior to the start of school in order to maximize effectiveness. In addition, increased airflow throughout the buildings will operate on a 24- hour schedule to assist with air replacement.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in each classroom, and additional hand sanitizer stations will be located in common spaces throughout the schools.
- Facial coverings will be provided upon request.
- Sanitation of high-touch areas will occur throughout the school day.
- The U.S Department of Transportation continues to require that facial coverings be worn on all public transportation, including school buses. This requirement is regardless of vaccination status, as long as the federal mandate is in place.
- As a reminder, students and staff who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 should not attend school.
The Fairfield City School District will continue to report newly diagnosed cases of COVID-19 to our local health department. We will notify, to the extent possible, teachers, staff, and families of students who were in close contact with someone who has tested positive. In compliance with the most recent ODH guidelines, FCSD students who have been exposed to COVID-19 in the school setting can continue to attend school and participate in sports and extra-curricular activities if both students were wearing masks consistently and correctly, and other layered prevention strategies including appropriate distancing were in place. Fully vaccinated students and staff do not have to quarantine. Please be aware that any student who attends school will incur some level of risk. We will continue to monitor this situation, collaborate with our state and local health departments, and communicate any updated guidance to our school community. Thank you.
To view the complete guidance released by the Ohio Department of Health, please visit https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/responsible/schools/K-12-Schools-Guidance.pdf